TALLAHASSEE – The Florida Department of Elder Affairs (DOEA) hosted the virtual 2021 Senior Summit, an annual event that welcomed nearly 400 elders and advocates from across the state of Florida to honor the many contributions of Florida seniors and highlight entertainment, celebrations, and stories throughout the Sunshine State.
“DOEA and the Aging Network came together to present a remarkable virtual Senior Summit event. Florida continues to put Seniors First and show the nation our seniors are resilient,” said DOEA Secretary Richard Prudom. “One of the Department’s most important goals is to honor and celebrate our elders, and the Senior Summit is the perfect opportunity to do that.”
The Senior Summit was co-hosted by Florida Department of Elder Affairs Secretary Richard Prudom and Feeding Florida’s Executive Director, Robin Safley (picture attached). The summit highlighted speakers and presentations such as:
- State Surgeon General Scott Rivkees,of the Florida Department of Health, who discussed the importance of vaccinations; and
- Michelle Branham, Vice President of Public Policy from the Florida Alzheimer’s Association, who shared the mission behind Project: VITAL; and
- Jeff Johnson, State Director of AARP Florida who shared how Livable Communities have impacted areas statewide; and
- DOEA’s Restaurant Meal Initiative, which highlighted the passion of Padrino’s Cuban Restaurant and Offerdahl’s Off-the-Grillto serve Florida’s elders; and
- 2020 Ms. Senior FloridaEdina McGrath, a 94-year-old tap dancer who dazzled attendees with her routine; and
- Live Q&Achat feature.
To view the encore Senior Summit presentation, visit FloridaSeniorSummit.org.
The Florida Department of Elder Affairs, the State Unit on Aging, helps Florida’s elders to remain healthy, safe, and independent. The Department provides most direct services through its Division of Statewide Community-Based Services, which works through the state’s 11 Area Agencies on Aging and local service providers to deliver essential services to a vital segment of the population. For more information, please visit www.elderaffairs.org.