PORT OF SPAIN, Trinidad – Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar has confirmed that the United States is installing a new radar system in Tobago to monitor activity within and beyond Trinidad and Tobago’s borders.
Speaking to reporters after a laptop distribution event on Thursday, Persad-Bissessar verified that US troops remain in the country and are assisting with surveillance upgrades in Tobago.
Her confirmation follows public reports of US Marines spotted at a popular Tobago hotel in recent days.
Flight-tracking platforms also recorded military aircraft landing at ANR Robinson International Airport, increasing questions about the presence and role of US personnel.
On Wednesday, Persad-Bissessar had said that no US Marines were in the country, noting that approximately 350 troops from the 22nd Marine Expeditionary Unit (MEU) had departed on November 21 after joint training exercises with the T&T Defence Force.
However, when pressed about the continued Marine presence in Tobago, she clarified: “On further inquiries, yes, in Tobago, there are some. US Marines are there, and they’re helping us with the airport.”
She said their work includes infrastructure, security, and radar installation.
The new system, she added, will strengthen surveillance and intelligence gathering to counter narcotics trafficking in T&T’s waters.
The Prime Minister did not address why her position shifted within 24 hours but maintained that the initiative is part of national security efforts aimed at curbing illicit drug activity.
The presence of US troops and military assets in Trinidad and Tobago has increased since October.
On October 26, the guided-missile destroyer USS Gravely docked at the Port of Port of Spain with members of the 22nd MEU for training and operational cooperation before departing on October 30. The Marines returned earlier this month for additional joint exercises.
Meanwhile, US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth visited the region this week.
A day after meeting with the president of the Dominican Republic, Luis Abinader, who authorised the US to use restricted areas to support anti-drug trafficking operation. Hegseth also addressed sailors aboard the USS Gerald R. Ford.
The Pentagon later released a video of him wishing the crew a happy Thanksgiving and offering prayers for two National Guard soldiers wounded in a Washington, DC shooting on Wednesday.


